Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Real Imitation Mexican Food!

I have enjoyed my fair share of both fast-food and authentic Mexican food. Enjoying each for what they are. When Taco Bell announced their line of Cantina Tacos, I quickly cringed, then laughed heartily to myself. Taco Bell was going to try to make actual Mexican food? How bizarre! Instead of mass-produced taco shell, filled with "seasoned" ground beef, cheese, and shredded iceberg lettuce, these more traditional tacos would consist of ~80% meat, with some onion and cilantro in two plain-old soft corn tortillas.

So today I finally went and ordered their Cantina Taco Combo. I had one of each offered meat and then I ordered a normal crunchy taco for comparison. Clearly, someone at Taco Bell's development team has eaten real Mexican food, and someone else is in charge of securing cheep meat. These two people are probably bitter office rivals and don't send each other Christmas cards. The carnitas taco was great. I will probably order at least one of these from now on. The steak and chicken tacos, however, were rather disappointing. As I mentioned earlier, these tacos are mostly meat and if, as was the case, the meat sucks then so does the taco.

After cleansing my pallet with a crunchy taco, I came to the conclusion that I like this line of thought and these really were a good attempt at authentic Mexican food. However, when I return to Taco Bell I will probably order more fake-Mexican food than otherwise, and if I want the latter I'll go to a real Mexican restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment